Labels

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hessehuis in Baviaanskloof

Hessehuis, photo Maryann Shaw


We are recently returned from two weeks on the road, where we spent one night here, two nights there, and few of the roads were tarred. The Swartberg Pass, the Montagu Pass and the Prince Alfred Pass were involved.... I was glad that my husband was driving on these bits and I was able to enjoy the view. The place we enjoyed the most was our one night at Hessehuis, a converted labourer's cottage we were allocated as all the accommodation at Zandvlakte was taken. Magriet looked at me with a nervous face and said "It's very basic" .... and we followed her husband Pieter for a few kilometres to the most perfect, isolated, yes rustic, but did I say isolated, spot.... and we had a braai for two, and afterwards lay and watched the stars...until the cold took us indoors. I will admit I could not get the gas shower to give me hot water, but this little cottage probably had the nicest linen of all the places we stayed at over two weeks and across 5000kms.

Maryann Shaw (Maryann Rivers-Moore)