Labels

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recycle, Reuse, Reduce

I am really lucky - we have a Recycling Village at the shopping centre where I shop, so I am able to recycle a very wide range of things... once you see all the bins there with their labels and learn just how many things CAN be recycled, it becomes hard to throw things away...

Glass, tins and polystyrene (yes, all the trays that meat is packed in, I just rinse them off..)
Chip packets, chocolate wrappers, soup packets... lots I did not know about.
Paper and cardboard, including egg boxes toilet papers rolls.
Plastic - I find this is the biggest one I collect, now that I really make an effort. Plastic bread bags, milk sachets (you have to rinse them, cut it open and rinse it out, a mission but once the habit is formed its okay)

We also don't throw away "organic" waste - any veggie peels, egg shells etc gets collected in the airtight box for a day or two then thrown on a compost heap box.

I am amazed... the more you get into it, the harder it is to throw something in the bin you know is going to the dump. Also, we can barely fill a refuse bag for the collection each week, it is getting to be a Spar packet or two perhaps, and that must be making a difference?